People of Crete are very well known for their, almost intimate, affair with cheese. During this online course, we will learn how to make cheese at home. In a very simple, easy, and smart way, we will use one of the most basic techniques for cheese making and use it in our recipes.
While the Cheese will be maturing, we will prepare a vegetarian celebrational dish of Western Crete that can be served both as the perfect side dish or a very nutritious main course. It can be also offered cold or warm since the fresh ingredients used will be a superstar on their own.
The Ingredients Shopping List
- 3 kg potatoes, cut into thin rounds
- 3 kg courgettes, cut into thin rounds
- 1 bunch spearmint or pepper mint (alternatively you can use dry)
- 1/2 kg ricotta cheese (Just in case the one we will prep will not work)
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Dry Oregano
- 4 tablespoons of good quality butter
- 1 glass flour (all purpose)
- Deep Tray for the Oven
- Kitchen Knife or Mandolin
Prep time: 2 hours
- 2 liters (1/2 gallon) of milk (any kind will do) NOTE: Full Fat!!!
- ¼ cup strong wine vinegar
- Deep Pan or Casserole for Boiling
- Cheesecloth or a linen cloth
- Strainer or Colander
- Skimmer Spoon
Optional: A heat resistant small plate that can fit in the bottom of the pan you will be using.
Prep Time: 1.30 mins
#letscook #tastingcrete #cheesemaking #vegeterian #cretandiet